Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Adventure Begins

This has been one long adventure…and this is just the first day of travel.  I started the day helping my brother-in-law pick out a birthday gift for my sister (hahahaha, I know what you’re getting!!!)  We got some bagels at Panera and ran a couple errands.  I began to get nervous thinking I would miss my flight (based on the dream the night before and the fact that my flight left at noon and we didn't head to the airport till 10:30 – Eli I should have been more trusting). 

I get into the airport for check-in and learn you don’t need a confirmation number or a credit card, they can check you in with your driver’s license!  Who knew?  The woman helping me was one of those stern by nature but super sweet if you can break her people.  A tall basketball player looking guy had just received help from her and said thank you to her as he left.  She ignored it.  I thought it was because she had not heard, but I was wrong.  “Mam, he said, ‘thank you.’”  “Well, he’s welcome.”  To the man walking away, I stated, “She says, ‘you’re welcome.’”  She laughed and said, “I am just doing my job.” If only we all thought about the tasks of the day where we serve others in such a way then we might learn a thing or two about service.  It isn’t about the recognition; it is about the act of service. 

I proceeded to the security check point (still thinking I might miss my flight).  I didn't bother checking the time because I didn’t want to waste a minute.  Of course, this always happens to me.  I take off all jewelry, hair pins, belts, cell phone, pull the laptop out of the carrying case, take off the shoes and wait to be told to walk through the security check point.  I am singled out and asked to walk into the body scanner.  Usually they just want to dig through my luggage, but this time they want to investigate me.  Because dressed in a tank and cardigan with jeans I am the picture of terrorist. 

I walk into this cylindrical tube of plastic and asked to stand exactly on the footprints (facing a weird way) and lift my hands above my head.  Which I do.  In .5 seconds my entire body is scanned for weapons of mass destruction I am sure.  I walk out thinking I am clear when the TSA agent asks me to hold on.  Apparently my head (I forgot to take off my bump-it…I am going to the south the land of the big hair) and my stomach are showing that I need even further investigation.  The agent proceeds to feel me up (stomach apparently also means chest).  But, as you all know, I was free to go.

As I collect my things, somehow between putting my shoes in the bin and having them screened my shoes are separated.  But I don’t realize this until I have one on and another TSA agent wants to run my laptop again.  He took my shoe with him.  So, I am trying to redress with one shoe on and a bunch of people thinking I am crazy.  And I am in a hurry because I still think I will miss my plane.  But, I was willing to risk it once I saw my gate was 10 feet from the lavatory.  There was no way I was getting on a 3.5 hour plane ride on a full tank.  I go to the gate and find they just started boarding!  Yay!  I made it. 

As I wait for my group to be called, they announce that the flight is really full and they are complimentary checking bags in order to make room.  They will send the bags on to the final destination.  Because I knew I had a 3 hour layover and that was one more thing I didn’t want to worry about, I volunteered (yay for free checking when it usually costs $25-30).  I get on the plane and leave my luggage with them fingers crossed that it would not get lost.  I found my seat at the back of the plane (thank you Ryan…my daddy always says it is the safest part of the plane because if you crash the survivors are usually found from behind the wing).  But I am the middle seat and I silently pray that the flight isn’t as full and that at least on one side I will have some space.

I sit down and not two seconds later this 27 year old Cuban girl sits next to me.  Even in sweats and having no make-up you could tell this girl was drop dead gorgeous.  She begins to tell me she gets nervous while flying (and I don’t know it at the time but find out she has already had a beer and a shot of Patron).  We exchange pleasantries and I try to distract her from the plane taking off.  We talked the entire flight.  I learned a lot about her. 

This young girl moved from Miami (where she was headed) to Chico/Oroville.  Poor girl missed the city and couldn’t understand the hype California got in Miami.  I told her to spend time in LA and that she would learn why.  She proceeded to ask me about God (I made no mention to her that I was a Christian).  We talked about what it would mean if God didn’t exists, what if it was all manipulation, what does love mean, and though I did not agree with her on much, it was a really lively conversation.

At this point we are half-way through our flight and she orders a beer (it was half-way into her beer I learned she was getting drunk).  We then proceeded to talk about more heavy stuff.  A lot like me this girl was single with no kids.  But, she doesn't want to get married, though she loves her longtime boyfriend.  She began to tell me about her childhood and how she was molested by a family member.  It took everything in me not to cry for her.  She told me I am only the second person she has ever told that too (hence no mention of her name).  She proceeded to tell me this because she asked why I was heading to Mississippi. 

She gasped when I told her I would not be sleeping with Ryan, but her level of surprised increased tenfold when I told her I was a virgin.  It isn’t a secret and I am proud of that.  She was apparently either really drunk or really proud of that too because she gave me a high-five.  No kidding.  She was so intrigued with my decision and how I was able to do that – especially after she found out I had been engaged for four years.  Simple answer:  I rely on my faith, accountability, and I don’t trust men easily which makes it easier to say no to them.  Oh the conversations had while under the influence. 

We finally begin our descent (I was hungrier than a lion in the Sahara) and was getting nauseous from the flight.  We finally hit the tarmac (about 20 minutes after the initial descent…ok it just felt that long). We both have a long lay over so she asks for dinner company (she is as hungry as I am).  We check our terminals and mine is three terminals over from hers.  We decided to split ways, both happier to have known the other.  What a way to make a long flight feel short.  My prayer for her was to find what she is looking for, as I could tell she was searching for something. 

I turn my phone on to find I have a missed call from United Airlines.  My plane is delayed by an hour.  What was only supposed to be a three hour lay-over is now four.  I am starving and tired.  Alas.  I walk off the plane and see a Starbucks on my left.  I go to grab a sandwich (they have a poor selection) and a coffee (I am so tired).  I proceed to find my terminal and get on a train to get me there.  The train is two cars long.  As we get on there were a bunch of people so I couldn’t see one end from the other.  But, as we break at terminal B both cars empty out.  I can know see both ends of the train.  I love learning about trains; I find it super interesting.  But I really like looking at and learning from the conductor.  This train had no conductor.  No steering apparatus.  Nothing.  It was moving completely on its own!  Talk about advancement in technology!

I find my terminal and grab a Starbucks chicken sandwich.  $15 I had a meal.  How annoying.  I hate airport food.  But, the threat of mass destruction abates when I have a full stomach.  Ryan and I had been talking about what to pack the night before.  When I talked about fluids he told me although he had followed the guidelines, they still made him throw away his toiletries.  So he asked me what kind of shampoo, conditioner, and face wash I like and said he would have it waiting for me.  As I waited for my plane, he texted me a picture of the exact stuff I use.  That is the sign of a great guy.  If only I could get on this silly plane and see him. 

I was working in the terminal when a sweet East Indian came up to me waiting for his delayed flight to Atlanta in another terminal.  We chatted about education, infotainment (reliance on our smart phones for news) and the development of the city.  Time past amiably.  Though, I was surprised that he did not know that the capital was DC.  (The plane before mine was heading to Alexandria, VA where I want to live and is 20 minutes from the capital).  He thought it was headed toward Egypt.  Sad.  But, smart engineer and I swapped stories of GA-ing (Graduate Assisting).  It was nice to have some fun company.  And only two hours left to get on the plane. 

As I am waiting in my terminal and finally get a movie playing on my laptop, a very sweet couple inquires of me if I am awaiting the Gulfport plane.  When I confirm they tell me they have an app on their phone that has told them they changed the gate to a completely different terminal.  Thank God for small favor.  I confirm with an airport agent and get back on the train to next terminal.  I make it just in time for boarding. 

One hour and twenty minutes later I arrive in 60% humidity to Ryan who is able to wait for me immediately before baggage claim.  Quite literally he caught me heading down the escalator to baggage claim.  They apparently care less about security in Mississippi because there was no security check point off the plane.  We find out way to the base and settle in for some Futurama and much needed sleep.  Ready for another day of fun adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment