Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It's Official

So, many of you have noticed my status update on Facebook and have been bombarding me with questions (would you guys follow the blog already so that it looks like people read this thing?)  Anyway, here is the long awaited version of what happened with me and Ryan (now to be known as Robert). 

But, before we begin, you need to know some history about me.  First, as you know I am a virgin Christian.  I am old enough that that is almost impossible.  So, in order to help with that (in addition to being held accountable) I wear a purity ring.  This ring is special for more than just the fact that it is a reminder to me to abstain.  I wear a claddagh.

The claddagh is a traditional Irish ring (yes I am Irish in case you didn’t figure that one out).  It depicts a heart enclosed with two hands and crowned with a crown.  The ring is the visual epitome of lasting love and eternal friendship.  The heart represents love, the hands friendship, and the crown loyalty.  But the legend behind this beautiful piece of jewelry is even more beautiful.

Legend has it that over 300 years ago in the ancient fishing village of Claddagh a fishing boat from the village was captured by pirates and the sailors were taken and sold as slaves.  One of the sailors was Richard Joyce who was pledged to be married that same week.  Richard was sold to a Turkish gold smith where he learned that art of jewelry, never forgetting his sweet heart back home. He made her this ring.  After many years Richard earned his freedom and returned to Claddagh.  To his great joy he found his sweet heart had never given up hope of his return.  He gave her the ring and they were married, never to be separated. 

But how you wear this ring communicates to the world your marital status.  Worn on the right hand (crown turned inwards – towards your heart) means your heart is not yet occupied.  Worn on the right hand (crown turned outwards) means you have a special commitment to someone.  Worn on the left hand (crown turned inwards) means you are married, never to be separated from your love. 

So, knowing this history, what happens next is important.  I spoke with Robert in early morning.  He asked me if I would change how I wear my ring so that the world would know that I am his “special lady.”  We then decided to do what this generation does to make it official – post on Facebook.  So, I did and oh what a crazy ride I was in for.  

My social media blew up!  Facebook, messages, comments, texts, you name it and people were asking about it.  By noon I had already been asked if there were wedding bells in my future!  I have been dating this guy for six hours, are you people crazy? 

I haven’t dated a guy in five years.  That’s a long time to develop my independence.  Add in to the fact that he is currently in Mississippi and I am not and the fact that he isn’t a Christian, you have to know that I am taking this very slowly.  We just set up Skype.  Slow.

If you know anything about me, you know that since I was sixteen and got my first taste of the beautiful city I have wanted to go back.  Not to mention that my degree is in political science and government – what better place to be than in Washington D.C. (and it doesn’t hurt that the guy I am dating will be stationed an hour away).  So, after my short and sweet conversation with Robert, I spent the day sitting at Starbucks (sometimes you just need out of your house) drinking a Passion Tea and Lemonade and eating a chicken Panini while I filled out twelve applications for DC. 


Two non-profits, five hill jobs, the Library of Congress later I was ready to crash.  Robert and I tried to video chat on Facebook but his internet kept going out and running slow.  So we settled for a phone call.  Not used to dating and now I am dating five different forms of technology.  Talk about strange.  But given the circumstances, there are worst ways to end your day than talking to the guy you date.  

No comments:

Post a Comment