Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Choices and Decisions

Yesterday I was surprised and blessed to get an invitation to lunch with an old family friend.  It was at this lunch that a new reality of our current economy hit home.  Discussing how his job was treating him, he told him how hard it was because of a lack of sustainable budget.  People were scared of losing their jobs and he was fighting like a bull for them to keep their jobs.  But do to the nature of his job; those beneath him have no idea what he does for them.  Win or lose. 

The media and politicians tend to focus on the unemployment rate and whether sales are up or down, but seldom, if ever, do they focus on those whose job it is to lay people off.  This becomes even more difficult with the small business and in the small town where people are closer to each other and their families.  It was heart breaking listening to that and not being able to do anything to help.  Except pray of course:  For money.  For jobs.  For hope.  After all, it is when things look the toughest that hope is its strongest. 

After lunch, I hit the pavement again.  I walked my resume into a few different places and in the course of doing so got a call from a company in Utah.  It is a great international and cross state company and I would be working as a legal assistant.  Something I find intriguing, but it’s in Utah.  But it’s a job. And those are hard to come by these days.  And I need one to finally make my schooling worth the tons of money I have invested into it.  But I don't have it yet, so I need to get out of my head and take things one step at a time.  

Well, Ryan and I have been completely honest, open, and transparent (HOT) from the beginning.  So, I told him.  Sign of a good guy – he told me if I am offered the job to take it, he didn't expect me not to because of him.  It could be the stepping stone I need to get to DC (my dream).  And I am trying not to get ahead of myself.  This company has passed on me before.  This is the first time I have had an interview.  So, next week I Skype interview with them and see if they want me to fly out there for an in-person.  It feels good to have a company interested for once.  Now, to just nail the next interview…

I packed for my trip (I leave in a couple hours!!!!) And then hit the digital pavement then headed off to sleep.  I had this dream that I missed the plane to Mississippi.  I scraped my way across states to where the layover was – don’t ask me how I beat the plane, but I guess I am a rock star!  When I got there, they refused to let me get on the next plane and kept me there…as a prisoner (so much for the rock star theory).  I awoke to a text from Ryan telling me it is surely to be hot AND rainy in Mississippi for the entirety of my visit.  I then had to re-pack.  Figuring out how to dress for rain and heat is tricky…especially if you want to look cute.  Here’s hoping I succeeded. 


I am so excited for a trip to Mississippi to see Ryan.  He told me we may cross the border and see New Orleans! I get more excited the more I he tells me what he is thinking about this trip.  Just twelve more hours till I touch down and this crazy adventure really begins!  Hold on to your feathers, Little Bird!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment