Monday, July 8, 2013

Goodbyes in Mississippi

The week had worn us out, we just didn’t realize how much till Sunday morning.  We stirred at eight but couldn’t pry our eyes open till ten.  I packed and cleaned up a bit while Ryan stretched his still hurting back.  At 10:00 Ryan stirs wide awake and exclaimed, “Crap!!” Caught off guard I ask him what has upset him.  “We missed the church service.  I wanted to get you there.”  Now this becomes a very important statement when you remember that Ryan is not a Christian.  But he is very supportive of my faith.  It bothered him all day that we didn’t make it to church.  It warmed my heart and encouraged me in my faith more. 

We succumbed to the need for food at 10:30 and headed out.  We decided to take a lazy day and so headed to the BX to grab a smoothie.  We walked around the BX looking at the mini exclusive Wal-Mart (as Ryan put it).  We discovered a Buddha fountain that lights up, a sale of flat screens, and beautiful art work, then sat down for a slice and salad.  This whole week we kept trying different sweet teas (the best one was made by the Chinese restaurant but it wasn’t great).  Same problem here, we actually both poured it out. 

After breakfast we decided to explore more of the base.  He took me to the flight line to show me the enormous planes and all the equipment he works on.  His job is more dangerous than I originally realized, he works on highly explosive material – stuff that is so flammable that oil can set it ablaze!  Then we headed to the community center to see what fun things we could do. 

On our way a jet was taking off.  So we pulled over to watch.  The base is a training base so jets come in to be worked on before heading back to their home base for inspection.  This gives hands on training and is cheaper for the government.  So, as we watched the jet fly ascend, Ryan told me about the testing process that had just begun.  That jet was going to fly around for a while come back in just barely touch the run way and head back up again.  The jet was going to do this about once every forty minutes for about three to five hours.  It takes that long to test everything.  It was loud and beautiful and fun.

But, as we got to the community center, just like everything else in the South, it was closed on Saturdays and Sundays.  I think that is strange because that is when people are off work and can spend time in the community.  But, we also discovered more things for Ryan to do in the next 13 weeks while he was there – more things in New Orleans, St. Louis, Orlando (things are a lot closer in the South than in California). 
Defeated but not downhearted, we grabbed my stuff and decided to spend some time off base.  Ryan had mentioned that a banana split sounded good.  I think I was five the last time I had one, so we went on a hunt for ice cream.  Again, every place was closed on Sunday, until I found a mall with a relatively good food court.  We had Blue Bunny ice cream and could create our own banana split.  I had chocolate peanut butter, strawberry cheesecake and chocolate chip cookie dough with caramel, strawberry and chocolate syrup with whipped cream, sprinkles and cherries.  It was so good and a great way to end my wonderful trip.  We walked around the mall for a bit to kill some time and headed to the airport. 

We pulled into the very small airport and said our goodbyes.  Neither of us wanted me to leave, especially because he had another week off training (he challenged this week’s course and got 100% so he didn’t have to take the class). 

I walked into the terminal and was stuck in line for thirty minutes.  While there I realize that the USO is before security and text Ryan.  But he already made it to the beach.  Shucks!  So I check in and am told that one or more of my flights is over booked and would I consider taking a $150 voucher to leave at another time.  I text Ryan because I am actually considering it.  But he doesn’t get back to me telling me he is turning around to get me till I am already in the security check point.  Bummer. My course is set.

I go through security and I don’t know how this happens, but I am always singled out in security.  I was scanned…TWICE and my luggage was gone through…TWICE.  At least here they keep your luggage behind a screen so only you and the TSA agent can see it.  But wow!  What is it about me that makes it so I look dangerous?  Sad and missing Ryan already (really weird for me) I proceed to my gate and start writing.
I was across from what I can only assume are juniors or seniors girls in college coming home from school.  I was struck with the contrast in problems they are facing compared to what I did when I graduated.  You could tell they were very affluent and had connections with everyone in the South.  One of the girls commented on how she bought her luggage freshman year because she knew she would be traveling a lot to and from D.C.  I was slightly jealous.  She is already living my dream.  But I get on the express anyway sit next to a chemical engineer graduate student who begins to study but its late and her eyes droop. The flight is uneventful. 

I collect my baggage at the bottom of the gate and head to my connection flight.  The attitudes of the United Airlines staff has been stressed if nothing else since I walked into the terminal in Biloxi.  I proceed to my gate and see it is labeled – Los Angeles.  That is about eight hours from home, but on the correct coast. So I proceed to the only United Airlines employee in the terminal to ask if I was at the correct gate.  Two people in front of me are trying to get refunds for their trip as they have had to add two lay-overs, were sent to the wrong places, and just had an all-around problem with the airline.  Apparently, even on Sunday the airline was still feeling the effects of the San Francisco crash. 

After patiently waiting forty minutes, the screen on my gate changes to show Sacramento.  Good.  My flight has been delayed twenty minutes.  No problem.  I sit down and continue my text conversation with Ryan.  As the new flight attendant comes to work the flight she is bombarded with people wanting to get on the already overbooked flight (they were all on stand-by).  When things calm down for her I ask for my seating assignment (the airline told me to ask her).  She gives me a center seat.  Bummer. 

At nine o’clock we know the plane is there because people just got off. But, there are no lights on the plane.  We are told there will be another delay because the plane needs a new power card and that takes time to replace.  A collective groan sounds throughout the terminal.  Finally, at 9:50 (fifty minutes after we were supposed to take off) we are allowed to board. 

I get to my lame assigned seat and an Indian woman at the window asks if I would switch with her husband for the window seat behind me. Hallelujah!!!!  Yes!!!  I sit down and await the in-flight movie The Croods (it was ok).  And think about this past week. 

In this week Ryan and I have had a blast, no doubt.  But we also talked a lot about some serious things – like his son and religion and what happens if I become an officer, or move to Utah.  Though not every question is answered, we know we like each other.  So, I ponder this on the plane.  I pray God touches his heart (like yesterday), I pray he gets to speak to his son (his ex-wife is being just awful!!!).  I think about what it would mean to be in a relationship with him.  And have no real answer.  But, before I know it I am disembarking and getting my luggage. 


When I get home, I succeed at setting the alarm off on the entire property, which is actually more annoying when I know I kept putting in the correct code – five different times.  But because I set the alarm off my dad comes to check on me – very unhappy (it is now midnight thirty).  Sorry Daddy, I really did try – a lot to do it right and thought I actually succeeded in turning it all off.  But I call Ryan and tell him I am safe.  Hearing his voice was heartwarming.  He was headed to take a test in the morning and it was 2:30 a.m. for him, so it was a short call but good to hear before I finally fell asleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment