Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Strange things happen in these here woods

Busy as ever, I have had quite an extraordinarily good couple days.  I have seen old friends, visited new places and enjoyed some wonderful quality time with Robert (well as quality as you get over Skype and through mail).  But let’s start with Sunday.

I have come to the realization that I am so blessed by friends.  How God is able to restore relationships is beyond me, but I am glad He does.  My high school sweet heart married a wonderful woman almost a decade ago.  We all went through a really rough patch and did not speak for years.  About three years ago, God did something miraculous, He reconnected us.  I am now friends with both of them, but I am much more blessed by his beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful wife.  V- you are an inspiration and a blessing.  Nothing will ever change that. 

That is a long introduction to the following experience.  I texted V- the other night to see if she wanted to get together for coffee.  I miss her and now that she is in the same state and same general vicinity I would like to do this more.  She and I ended up talking about Robert (as girls do).  She asked how I felt about our relationship and where things were going and I expressed my trepidation of some of the things happening but that I was mostly overjoyed and excited to be with him.  That’s when she said, that is the best way to know if you can be serious with someone, along with some other really great advice.  And as wonderful as that conversation was (and it was really wonderful), what brought joy unspeakable to my heart was that she asked to host a Bon Voyage party for me (I am moving across country in November).  What a beautiful expression of love and friendship!!  How blessed I am by a God who saves me and reunites and rebuilds relationships!!!  I can’t wait to move, but I will miss having her close by (but the phone calls and texts will continue V-). 

Robert sent me this wonderful package in the mail.  Complete with an Air Force sweater I have been trying to hunt down, a couple really beautiful sun hats, and a beautiful box.  He is such a blessing to me.  I have never been this spoiled or happy with a guy, and I am so glad it is with a man of integrity, brains, and a sense of humor.  I have laughed more with him than anyone I know.  These are examples of his great taste.


That night, I finally fell asleep around midnight.  My phone is set to Do Not Disturb so that I am not kept awake or awoken by unnecessary calls.  If you call me twice in a row within 3 minutes, my phone will ring it through as an emergency…this did not happen.  At 12:30 a.m. I was awoken by a pounding on my door.  The only reason I answered it was because the person yelling new my name, and I assumed if you know my name, and where I am staying on this grand property it is probably because you know me. 

It being the middle of the night, I through on a covering to find my brother-in-law and a policeman at my door.  Apparently, the alarm of the house went off and no one new why.  If you don’t already know, I was embarrassed to be seen in my sleepwear – even with a covering – and so was my brother-in-law.  Sorry.  So, I spent the next hour having the cops comb through the property to make sure nothing was out of place and no one was there who should not have been.  You want to know what set the stupid alarm off?  A wasp!!!  A wasp set off the motion sensors.  Who knew?  But, all was set right and I finally fell asleep about 2:30 in the morning to be up in just a few hours.  Funny and embarrassing, but good to know my family was willing to risk life to make sure I was ok.  That is a blessing few can say they have, and I thank God for it daily. 

Monday, I took my sister and her kids to Tony’s fruit stand off of highway 70.  There, my good friend Y- runs the fruit stand and everything there is addicting.  Don’t believe me?  Ask anyone from the ONE Worship Team in LA at In His Presence Church, I am pretty sure they will testify to the goodness of what they ate at Easter.  Also, check out their music on itunes.  At this fruit stand there are some really neat signs, but the coolest part was the port-o-potty.  I kid you not, it was the nicest smelling and looking one I have EVER seen in my life!!!!  Check out the fruit, but don’t forget to check out this great place to relieve yourself. 


 


The lot of us then headed to Bidwell Park in Chico (I had never been!)  CSU, Chico is located on this park, so you can imagine the immensity of it.  But, the neat thing I saw that they took the river and, following its course, made it into a sort of pool for a little bit.  The kids played in it, discovered dragon files, and all in all had a great day.  We even made some friends to have a play date with later.  What a beautiful day.
 
 


Yesterday, we took the kids to Ellis Lake in Marysville.  Ellis Lake is a man-made lake that was built during the Great Depression in order to provide jobs. It has since become known for being filthy (they have pulled entire cars out of it) and for having quite a few ducks.  We thought it would be fun to take my niece and nephew to feed said ducks.  When we got there, the ducks were overrun with geese – honkers (my high school mascot).  I don’t know if you know this, but honkers are mean!!!  And they pack a pretty nasty bite!!!  

Well, we get the kids out to feed the ducks and it is not two minutes before a honker bites my niece because she can’t feed it fast enough.  The irony is that at that very moment a couple locals were coming by to warn us not to feed them because they are so mean.  We ended up putting the kids onto of the car to through the bread. In the process we discover a honker with a broken wing and a man asking for a cigarette from us (the people with two kids who in all likelihood don’t smoke, much less if we did let you near us to give you one because we had kids) who quite literally was wearing a snake…the head of which was free to roam!!!
 

 

In the paper we discovered a community leader found himself in a scandal and the next day a school teacher was arrested for meth.  Small towns apparently are the new places for drama…someone tell Warner Brothers or Fox…there is a reality TV show here waiting to happen.  Sad that small towns now have big town problems.  But it is also a reminder of where our morals as a community and country are and what it means to stand by them.  It is a slow fade to make decisions such as these.  A slow fade.  When we do not surround ourselves with good people and arm ourselves with the truth we are only opening ourselves up to the slow fade. 


But, small town problems aside, I would say this has been a very special and blessed week.  More to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment