Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cheers to a New Year


Every New Year brings new resolutions.  The sad part is very few of us actually fulfill those promises to ourselves. The traditional promises never seem to work out; promises like, “I will loose the weight this year,” or “I will be a better parent/spouse/daughter.”  The problem is not the intent to do better, it is the lack of reflection, goal setting and planning. 

A few weeks into January I think it is time to reflect on those resolutions we made just a few weeks ago.  A friend of mine made a resolution to not eat breads or drink tea…by lunch on Friday she was doing both.  Another friend of mine renewed a commitment to work out three to four nights a week…and thanks to that, I have a new accountability partner in one of my resolutions, being more healthy.  But there are still 50 weeks left in the year, and a lot can happen, but success only comes to those who do.

Doing is a concept I think we have slowly forgotten hear in America.  We stopped doing and now are waiting to be given.  Much like a New Year’s Resolution we expect the result without the work.  But success and, I would venture to say, happiness comes when one does something with their life.  A few years ago one of my dear friends introduced me to a new resolution that carries over every year – to try one thing new every month.  You would be surprised at how hard that can be!  Well, in that one resolution I learned two things: without reflection I cannot know what I have done and without planning I cannot hope to succeed. 

Sounds sort of like what teachers and parents and mentors have been telling us for years, right?  One must set goals with a plan.  A plan for school, a plan for a career, a plan to have kids.  No one ever mentions, that sometimes those goals and plans have to change.  No one ever mentions the fear that comes with pursuing those goals. 

What is it about New Year’s that seems to sap the joy of life?  Why is looking forward so dependent on looking back?  Why is it that sometimes it just doesn’t seem to work, making resolutions seem more like wasted prayers and broken magic than something to pursue? 

I am beginning to think the answer to all those questions is the same.  Perspective.  When one chooses to see the New Year as a fresh start they tend to be more excited about the possibilities.  A lot can happen in a year, new friends, new job, new home, loss of loved ones, loss of job; but it is the perspective that makes the memories.  Perhaps we all need a touch more of Pollyanna in our lives and a little less Economist Today.  With a change in perspective we have new light, new insight, and a new chance at the beginning of something great.

Cheers to the New Year!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment