Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Say what? He PURSUES me!?!

If you are like me, and maybe you are not, but if you are what keeps you awake at night is not my circumstances or my looks and body image.  What keeps me up, and has since I can remember, are my relationship – those with my friends, my family, and most especially with God.

Questions like: How could I have done that differently? I hope they hear my heart…but what if they don’t like me?  Am I being a reflection of Christ’s love for me?  When I was younger,  and in the dating game, questions like: will he ask me out?  Am I coming on too strong? Not enough?  Does God approve of dating?  Should I be pursuing a romantic relationship or just focus on God? All of these are relationship questions and our focus the next couple weeks.  Today, we are going to talk about our relationship with God.

1 Samuel reminds us, “God does not look at the things people look at.  People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  How comforting I have found these words growing up.  Being an introverted band geek and drama nerd who doesn’t get on well in large groups, how people view me was always important.  Add on to it, I am the middle of 7 and the daughter of not one, but TWO pastor’s – eyes were always on me – to be perfect.  Now that is pressure.  But when I read this, I am reminded that it is not about image or personality or how many likes I have on Facebook or followers on Twitter.  It is about my heart.  God cares about me.  Just me.  The way I am.

Jesus confirms this in Luke 12:7 confirms this when he says, “Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  At first glance, this seems like nothing, but when you look at the bigger picture, it really is amazing.  God cares enough about the insignificant sparrow and provides him food and clothes the flowers in brilliance when all they do is fade and die tomorrow.  How much more, does he care for me?  How much more does He want to know me?  To talk with me? To walk with me?  How amazing is it that the Almighty, the very creator of the universe, Heaven and Earth, wants more than just to watch me from afar, but knows the very hairs on my head? 
But it gets better!  Psalms tells us that His “beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.”  His love CHASES us. The very word means to pursue with intent to catch.  He is pursuing us – working to catch us and embrace us in everlasting love. 


So when I think about relationships at the end of the day, before I fall asleep, I can go to bed in complete confidence that God not only knows who I am, but knows me intimately and loves me.  He actually wants to be in my life so much, He PURSUES me!  How awesome is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment